Friday, June 17, 2011

Verona, Italy- La Bella Vita!

This past weekend once I was home from Venice at about 6am, my program took off for Verona at 9am.  If there is one thing that I have realized about traveling, its that I'm not crazy about the "traveling" part but loveee the being there part! But Im sure most people would agree with that statement. :) Once we met at the train station, all of us hopped on the charter buses and headed North East to Verona.  It was about a 4 hour bus ride but once we got there I could say that it was worth every minute of it! Something that is so interesting to me about Italy is that all of the cities that I have traveled to are unique in their own way.  It almost feels like you're traveling to another country.  Verona was completely different from the other cities that I have seen so far.




Once we got to the hotel, we settled in before taking off on our guided walking tour of the city.  From the hotel, the city didn't appear to be anything special.  In the bus we climbed the hills of Verona to a looking point.  Up at the top you could see all of Verona which was breathtaking.  We snapped many pictures up there before heading down to see the history of the town.  Verona, like many other cities in Italy has centuries of history still standing and present in the town. Something that Verona is most popular for is Romeo and Juliet.  Whether the story is true or not is unknown but many people believe so.  What is true, is that the Mantegues and Capulets lived there and their homes are still standing.  We got to see Juliet's balcony where people write their and their lovers names on the walls so she will protect their love.  We took the tourist shot of us touching her chest which is supposed to bring luck to your love life and relationship.  One thing that is definitely real in Verona is the love.  Couples young and old were holding hands everywhere.  It was one of the most passionate places I have ever been.  All of us girls were just wallowing wishing we had Italian lovers to be canoodling with haha. That night we had dinner at a restaurant suggested to us by our tour guide.  Im not a big pasta lover but let me tell you that I had the BEST pasta I have ever tasted that night.  It was gorgonzola ravioli with a white cream sauce and walnuts... it was so yummy, I still dream about it now!

 My wonderful roommates- Amy, Jennifer, Kim and Me! 



It was seriously a dream land.  Although it is somewhat of a tourist town, it was mainly Italians that were roaming the streets there. And let me tell you that they were the most beauuuutiful people that I have ever seen.  The city wasn't sprinkled with a few beautiful people, pretty much everyone was! The men looked like walking GQ advertisements and the woman were so classy and put together.  People dress lavishly for everyday life and for one time in my life, I felt like I was underdressed! The men wore suits just to go eat dinner and sip cappuccinos.  At night we sat in one of the piazzas simply "people watching".  The culture there was so rich and not just in terms of money.  Kids were out past 11pm which you never see in the states and they were all just spending time together as a family.  The sense of love, family, friends and being together with the people that mean most to you was overflowing.  I never wanted to leave!



The next morning we woke up and took a 30 minute bus ride to Sirmeone which is where Lake Garda is. Just like everywhere in Italy, there was a lot of history that surrounded the lake.  On one side there was a castle that was built in the end of the 14th century as a defense structure, and on the other was a multi-million villa owned by a family that supplies more than 50% of Verona's wine... No big deal.  The water on the lake was so blue and clear. It was beautiful.  Italians were cruising around in their boats and yachts and just enjoying the sunshine.  We got a few hours to lay out in the sun.  I wore my new suit I bought in Florence and it was so nice to get a tan.  We had lunch at a little cafe right next to the water.  Kim and I split the amazing pizza photographed below sprinkled with parmesan cheese and "rocket", Italians crazy term for arugula. Another perfect weekend in Italia.




This weekend, Im heading back to Venice with my roommates this time to see more of the city. One day there wasn't enough for me!  I've had a very busy week with school since its midterms and finals are next week.  Haha having a class for only 3 weeks is a really bizarre thing! Hope you all are doing well back at home! Missing each and every one of you!!

Ciao Ciao! xoxoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2011, All rights reserved